Digital Ocean Spaces
250 GB storage + 1 TB Outbound Transfer for $5/mo.
Digital Ocean Spaces is a good choice if you’re already using DigitalOcean to host your server. It should be fast to transfer your video from your server to their storage service, and their pricing will probably just be the flat $5/mo for you, so it’s easy to know what you’re paying.
- Create a new bucket in the DigitalOcean console.
- Edit your storage config and change the S3
endpoint. If your bucket hostname is
myvideo.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.comthe endpoint you put into Owncast should be
nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com. DigitalOcean doesn’t seem to care about the region provided but to be safe use an AWS s3 compatible region like:
- Using the DigitalOcean Applications and API page create a new Spaces Access Key and add the Key and Secret to your admin.
- In DigitalOceans Console go into your new bucket and select the Settings tab
Editnext to the File Listing
- Toggle to
Enable File Listing
Addnext to the CORS Configurations
- Add your owncast URL as the Origin with GET checked under the Allowed Methods
You’ll want to configure your bucket to auto-expire things saved there as soon as possible, as Owncast only needs to save things for a very short time.
See this discussion for configuring this on Digital Ocean. Refer to their documentation or contact Digital Ocean for further details.
- Your API endpoint doesn’t have your bucket name in it.
- Your bucket is public.
- Your bucket has CORS enabled.
You should now be ready to stream using DigitalOcean Spaces.